We are here to help with the cost-of-living. Visit our guide to access support.

Site Header

HomeHome IconCustomer SupportHaving problems paying?

Having problems paying?

If you are experiencing difficulties paying your rent, we are here to help.

It is important that you contact us so we can help you to find a solution. If you allow rent arrears to build up, you could face legal action and even eviction from your home.

Alternative Payment Arrangement (APA)

Managed Payment to Landlord (MPTL)

If you have struggled with receiving monthly payments of Universal Credit, or have had trouble budgeting, you may be able to have an Alternative Payment Arrangement (APA). As your landlord, we can apply for an APA on your behalf. This way the Housing Element of your benefit can be paid to us direct, taking the hassle out of managing this yourself.  APA’s are reviewed after six months.

Fortnightly payment – you can request through your work coach to be paid fortnightly instead of monthly if this helps you to budget.

Ways we can help with rent:

Discretionary housing payment (DHP)

A DHP is a means tested fund which could help if your Universal Credit or Housing Benefit doesn’t cover the rent. If you would like to make a claim for DPH you will need to go direct to your own local authority via the links below.

If you need help applying, or if you have questions about DHP, please contact your Neighbourhood Service Officer who will be happy to help you through the process.

One Vision Housing Hardship Fund

If you are refused a DHP, you may be eligible for our limited hardship fund to help you pay your rent. In order to be assessed for a One Vision Housing Hardship Fund you must be effected by Welfare Reform (i.e. bedroom tax, benefit cap and/or Universal Credit). We will need to do an affordability assessment with you and your outgoing expenses must outweigh your income. Contact your Neighbourhood Service Officer or contact us for more details.

Universal Credit Budgeting Advance

You can get a loan (starting from £100) to help pay for emergency household costs (i.e. buying a new cooker), for help getting a job or staying in work. This is called a Budgeting Advance and is repaid through your regular Universal Credit payments. In order to qualify for a Budgeting Advance, you must have:

  • Been receiving Universal Credit, Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Jobseeker’s Allowance or State Pension Credit for six months or more (unless you need the money to help you start a new job or keep an existing job).
  • Earned less than £2,600 (£3,600 together for couples) in the past six months.
  • Paid off any previous Budgeting Advances.

You can apply for a Budgeting Advance by calling the free Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 5644 (Monday – Friday, 8am – 6pm).

Council Tax Support

Universal Credit is replacing six benefits, but this does not include Council Tax support. You must apply separately for any Council Tax support. You can get in touch with us if your require assistance, or you can apply directly online here.

It can be very difficult to have a Council Tax support entitlement backdated, so when you migrate over to Universal Credit please make sure you remember to apply for Council Tax support.

For more support options and local support services, click here.

Share this page

This page was last updated on 31/01/2024