Site Header

HomeHome IconCustomer SupportFrequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions

We’ve tried to answer some likely questions you may have.

Q: Can I have a pet?

A: All customers should apply for permission before obtaining a pet. Customers are responsible for the behaviour of their pets and should ensure their pets do not cause a nuisance to other residents.

Q: Who is responsible for the upkeep of my garden?

A: Some communal gardens are maintained by us but if you have your own front or back garden it is your responsibility to maintain this.

Q: How much notice do I have to give when cancelling my tenancy?

A: You must give us at least four weeks written notice ending on a Sunday.

Q: Are the contents of my home covered by insurance?

A: The building is covered, but your contents are not. However, we do have a low-cost pay as you go home and contents insurance available. More information can be found here.

Q: I have moved in and my wheelie bins/recycling boxes are missing, what do I do?

A: We are not responsible for your refuse collection or providing wheelie bins. You will need to contact your council. If your bins have been stolen then you should report this to the police first to obtain a crime reference number.

Q: How do I turn my water supply on?

A: You will need to turn on the ‘stop tap’ in your property. This is usually beneath your kitchen sink.

Q: How do I get my gas turned on?

A: Once you have arranged a gas supply with a utility company, contact our Customer Service Centre and we’ll arrange for a ‘gas turn on and test’ within 24 hours. Once our gas engineer has attended you will be able to use gas in your home.

Q: Can I have a water meter installed?

A: This depends on the type of property you live in. Before having any work done you will need to check by calling us, and also complete a ‘Property Alteration application form’ form to request permission.

Q: I have a gas/electric cooker, will you install it for me?

A: No, this is your responsibility. You must arrange for a qualified tradesperson to install them for you.

Q: Can you fix my TV aerial, it isn’t working?

A: If you live in one of our flats or Independent Living schemes and you pay a service charge for an aerial (which will be stated in your tenancy agreement) then contact our Customer Service Centre who will arrange a repair. Otherwise, you are responsible for the installation and maintenance of your TV aerial.

Q: Can I have satellite or cable TV?

A: If you want to get a satellite dish installed then you will need to complete a ‘Property Alteration application form’. You can download this here. You can arrange cable TV without informing us.

Q: What repairs am I responsible for?

A: You are responsible for replacing toilet seats, changing light bulbs (including fluorescent tubes in the kitchen), decoration, maintaining the property’s condition (including ventilation to prevent condensation), sink and bath plugs, and maintaining the garden (including pruning trees and hedges).

Q: I have rats/mice in my garden/property what should I do?

A: Contact your local council’s pest control department. If the rats are in a communal area (i.e. in communal hallways or lofts of your flats), then contact our Customer Service Centre.

Q: I have a wasp or bees nest in my property or garden, what should I do?

A: We are not responsible for removing wasp/bees nests unless they are in a communal area (of a block of flats etc). You can contact British Pest Control Association to locate a local pest control company (01332 294 288), however there will be a charge. Alternatively you can arrange a remedy yourself (i.e. spray from a DIY store).

Q: Who is responsible for cleaning my windows?

A: If you live in a house this is your responsibility. If you live in a low rise flat we will clean the windows.

Q: I want to install a shower in my property. What do I do?

A: You should complete a ‘Property Alteration application form’ to request permission to make changes to the property. If approved, you must instruct a qualified tradesperson to complete the work. Afterwards you will be responsible for any ongoing maintenance and replacement of the shower.

Share this page