To reduce your chances of being injured or even killed in a fire at home, you should ensure that you have at least one working heat and/or smoke detector in your property. If you do not have one, you should contact us or Merseyside Fire & Rescue on 0800 731 5958 to arrange a home fire safety check.
You should test your detector weekly to make sure it is working properly. If it does not work, you may need to replace the battery – standard battery operated alarms will need batteries replacing every year.
If your detector starts to bleep on a regular basis, you need to replace the battery immediately.
Never disconnect or take the batteries out of your smoke alarm.
If fitting your own smoke alarm, refrain from fixing them in or near kitchens or bathrooms where smoke or steam can set them off by accident. The ideal position is on the ceiling, in the middle of the room, and on the landing or hallway.
Detectors designed specifically for people who are deaf or hard of hearing are available, please contact the Merseyside Fire & Rescue on 0800 731 5958 to discuss your options.
If you live in a high-rise building, automatic sprinklers are in place to help prevent fires. Watch our handy video guide on sprinklers.