Dealing with cold weather
During the cold weather, try to keep your home fairly warm at all times. If water freezes in pipes, it can cause serious damage. Before the winter period approaches, check that all water pipes and tanks in the roof space or outside are insulated. If you find any problems, please contact us and we will advise you of what can be done.
If you intend leaving the house empty during the cold weather, even for just a few days, follow these simple steps:
- Turn off the stop tap (this look like a tap underneath the sink – turn the stop tap in a clockwise direction to check if the cold water turns off. If your stop tap doesn’t work properly or you find it difficult to turn, please contact us).
- Drain all water from the system by turning on all of the taps and flushing the toilet.
- If you have an automatic heating system, leave it on at a lower temperature to avoid the system freezing up.
When you return:
- Turn on the stop tap.
- Check that your taps are working properly.
- If you have switched on your central heating, but your radiators are not getting hot, turn it off and call us.
If you do get a frozen pipe:
- Turn off the stop tap.
- Turn on all taps in the kitchen, bathroom and toilet to drain as much water as you can from the system.
- Do your best to stop any leak until a plumber can reach you.
- If the water has been leaking through an electric ceiling light, do not switch it on.
- If you live in a flat, please be extra careful – if you experience a leak and you live on an upper floor the water could also affect the flat below you.
Burst pipes do not happen very often but when they do they can cause a lot of damage to your home. If you do get a burst pipe follow these steps:
- Turn off the water at the stop tap
- Switch off any water heater
- Switch off the electricity at the mains
- Switch off the central heating system
- Open all taps to the bath and sinks
- If possible collect some water in the bath for flushing the toilet
- Warn any neighbours who might suffer damage
- Please contact us