In line with UK Government advice regarding COVID-19 we have adapted our services. Find out more about our response here.

Site Header

HomeHome IconDifferent service charges

Different service charges

Depending on your tenancy agreement, some (or maybe even all) of the service charges below may apply to you. Please note you will only be charged a service charge if your home benefits from the service.

Communal cleaning:

  • Cleaning of communal area – This may include cleaning of landings, hallways, lifts and external / internal windows (where applicable)


  • CCTV (cameras and surveillance equipment)
  • Control room monitoring of cameras
  • Depreciation and maintenance (where applicable)

Door entry:

  • Security doors (maintenance) and access control equipment (depreciation and annual maintenance)

Digital aerial:

  • Provision of a communal aerial and/or other equipment to receive digital TV (depreciation and annual maintenance)

Communal utilities:

  • This may include costs associated with communal utilities including electricity, gas, water, lighting, phones, broadband, tv licences (where applicable)

Management charge:

  • The administration costs incurred when organising and managing these additional services

Buildings insurance:

  • The cost of insuring your home (bricks and mortar only) if you are a leaseholder or shared owner


The costs associated with statutory building safety, maintenance, equipment and testing (where applicable).  This may include:

  • Legionella
  • General health and safety
  • Fire safety/alarms
  • Emergency lighting/Portable Appliance Testing (PAT)
  • Lift maintenance
  • Sprinkler systems

Retirement or General Needs facilities: 

  • Provision and running cost of communal lounge (where available)
  • Provision and running cost of kitchen, laundry and salon facilities (where available)
  • Depreciation and maintenance of communal facilities, furniture and equipment (where applicable)

Furniture packages:

  • Provision of furniture

Independent Living Officer:

  • Provision of staff time to support Independent Living Services

Estate management:

  • Landscaping
  • Grounds maintenance and tree management
  • Sewerage
  • Signage

Typically these charges are applied on new development schemes

Personal Utilities:

  • Private use utilities (gas, electricity, water charges where applicable)*.  These costs are not covered by Housing Benefit or Universal Credit. Typically these are charges for utilities associated with communal boilers or heating systems.

* If you are an Independent Living Customer and have a personal utility charge you are also required to pay some of your own utilities (e.g. water, gas and electric) and council tax. If you are unsure what utilities you are required to pay please speak to your Independent Living Officer who will be able to assist. 

All other customers will have a personal utility charge and are also required to pay for their own utilities (e.g. water, gas and electric) and council tax.

Careline charges:

  • Call monitoring

Lifeline charges:

  • Provision of lifeline equipment/pendant (depreciation and maintenance)

Agency managed services include:

  • Provision of specialist support services by an external agency (for example YMCA, Making Space, Options for Supported Living, Expect)


Share this page