More information about Aids and Adaptations

What sort of things can be done in your home?

That depends on what you need to live safely and independently. We define two types of adaptations:

A minor adaptation – we can help with the smaller things like stair rails, grab rails, lever taps and key safes. We will arrange an appointment to assess your circumstances within 10 days of you contacting us and you will then be informed if we can proceed with your request.

A major adaptation – In some instances major adaptations may be required, for example fitting a walk-in shower or stair lift. Major adaptations usually involve making changes to the structure of your home. We will need to visit and assess your home to make sure that this work is possible. In some circumstances, it may be possible to meet your needs in other ways. For example, by arranging a transfer to a more suitable home. We will discuss this with you if we think your current home isn’t right for you.

How do you apply for aids and adaptations?

Call 0300 365 1111 or visit to log your request online. If you’re not sure about the adaptation you need, or major alterations are required, we would advise that you contact an Occupational Therapist for an assessment through your local authority.

What is an occupational therapist?

Occupational therapists are qualified health care professionals who are trained in assessing your physical needs. They specialise in helping people manage their daily life and to live independently. An occupational therapist will make recommendations to One Vision Housing to help make your life easier in your home.

What happens when you contact an occupational therapist?

Following referral, an occupational therapist will make an appointment to come to your home to assess your needs. If they think that changes can be made to your home which will help you to live more independently, they will send us a report recommending the adaptations that might help you.

How long will a major adaptation take?

Once we have the report from the occupational therapist we will arrange to come and see you to make sure that the work is possible. This decision will be based upon eligibility criteria set out in our Aids and Adaptations policy. The length of time to complete your adaptation will depend on what is required. We will keep you informed of all works planned, on a regular basis.

The cost of adaptations

OVH will usually fund adaptations, however, you may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant. This will be discussed with you during your assessment.

Will One Vision Housing give permission for the work to be carried out?

We consider all applications but in a small number of cases we may decide not to adapt for one of the following reasons:

  • The property is under occupied (i.e. a single person living in a 3 bedroom house)
  • The property is unsuitable for the individual or for the recommended adaptation
  • Rent arrears exist on account in excess of 4 weeks or £500
  • If an alternative adapted property is offered and refused.

What happens if your home cannot be adapted?

In some cases adaptations won’t be carried out, as this would make the property less suitable for future residents. We will explain this to you and discuss other options, such as finding a more suitable home.

Who maintains the adaptation?

We will maintain any aids or adaptations that we have put in place for you.

Are there any other sources of help for aids and adaptations?

Your local authority provides a Community Equipment Service where you may be able to borrow various equipment ranging from cutlery to stair lifts.