Who is responsible for repairs?
As your landlord, we have a legal duty to carry out certain repairs and services when needed.
- Structural repairs – walls, roof, floors, stairs
- Drains, gutters and pipes
- External doors, windows, window sills/catches
- Internal walls, floors, ceilings, doors, skirting boards
- Sinks, basins, toilets, baths
- Integrated garage, outhouses and store rooms
- Electrical wiring, gas piping heating systems and water heaters
- Central heating, chimneys, chimney stacks and flues
- Boundary fences, walls and gates – only where they border a footpath, road or other public area
- External paths and steps – only those classed as access routes
- Communal areas in blocks of flats
- Any external outhouse or connected part of the building within the curtilage of the building. OVH reserves the right to remove these facilities where they are unsafe or uneconomical to maintain
We expect that as time passes, normal wear and tear will occur to your home. However, should your home need a repair because of either neglect or damage either by you or your friends and family, this will be your responsibility. You can ask us to complete the repair, which we will charge up front for, or you can employ your own tradesman, at your cost.
You are also responsible for any repairs/ rubbish removal necessary when you leave your home.
You are responsible for:
- Keeping your home in a reasonable condition
- Providing adequate descriptions when reporting repairs
- Granting reasonable access to operatives working on behalf of OVH to carry out repairs
- Adjustment of internal doors
- Repair or replacement of tenants own floor coverings
- Internal decorations and decorative features such as architraves and picture rails, internal glazing, minor cracks or uneven surfaces to internal plastering work
- Accessory items, including, light bulbs, wash basin and bath, plugs, toilet seats, meter cupboard keys, radiator keys, curtain rails/blinds
- Replacing damaged or lost keys or adding additional locks
- Managing infestations e.g. insects, rodents, bees and wasps
- Unblocking of sinks/toilets due to misuse
- Prevent and controlling condensation
We rely on you to report any faults promptly and to provide access to our operatives to ensure that the repair/servicing can be completed within our agreed timescales.
For more information, please refer to your Tenancy Agreement.